Years in the past, Jack and I went on trip to the island of Capri the place we ate Caprese salads day by day. We’d sit at hilltop eating places overlooking the teal blue Mediterranean Sea. The air was heat, the wine was flowing, and the tomatoes have been the sweetest I’d ever tasted. It was a couple of days after he had proposed and looking out again it was essentially the most blissfully completely satisfied week of our lives. Or at the least that’s the best way I bear in mind it. I’ll spare you the story about strep throat, virtually getting seasick on a hydrofoil journey, and looking for an Italian pharmacy that might promote me an antibiotic. Those recollections, whereas irritating within the second, appear to fade into the background over time.
So whereas I bear in mind these excellent Three-ingredient Caprese salads from Italy, I’m going to additionally, uhh, change the main points and produce you my “re-remembered” model, with strawberries, avocado, and pecans! This recipe is in our cookbook and is one among my favorites. One of the explanations is that, properly, it’s arduous to search out tomatoes which can be fairly as candy as those in Capri, so this salad permits you to get away with utilizing less-than-perfect tomatoes (though those pictured right here have been fairly good) as a result of the opposite substances decide up the slack, identical to these less-than-perfect trip recollections!
It’ll take you all of about 15 minutes to make and it’s yummy with something you’re grilling.
Avocado Strawberry Caprese Salad
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup halved mini mozzarella balls
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and diced
- ⅓ cup pecans, toasted
- ⅓ cup loosely packed basil, torn
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- In a small saucepan, deliver the balsamic vinegar to a excessive simmer over medium warmth. Stir, then scale back the warmth to low and simmer till the vinegar has thickened and diminished by half, about eight to 10 minutes. Set apart to chill.
- Place the strawberries, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, avocado, pecans and basil in a shallow bowl or platter. Drizzle with olive oil, and season generously with salt and pepper. Gently toss. Drizzle with the diminished balsamic.
Make this vegan by omitting the cheese.