Yes, this cabbage is burned. But we’ll simply name it “blackened cabbage” as a result of it sounds nicer, good? No matter what you name it, I promise it’s deeeeeeelicious.
Let me simply provide you with slightly background to elucidate why I burned my cabbage. We had some associates on the town a pair weeks in the past and we met them at a brand new BBQ joint on the town. While looking out the menu for one thing even remotely wholesome I noticed their “spicy grilled cabbage”. I didn’t know what to anticipate, however I knew I cherished cabbage, so I ordered it. What I received was a dish of smoky charred cabbage lined in a light-weight layer of creamy, spicy sauce. To say it was scrumptious could be an understatement.
Fast ahead to me at house brainstorming about how one can recreate that yummy dish at house with out a grill. I did a fast google seek for “charred cabbage” and located that I wasn’t the one one who cherished burned cabbage. I took notes from this recipe discovered on Bon Appétit and did my burning in a forged iron skillet as an alternative of utilizing a grill. It labored like a allure. I added a couple of minutes with a lid on the finish to steam the cabbage and ensure it was tender all through, however the course of was nonetheless extremely easy.
This cabbage is nice by itself (with simply the pinch of salt and pepper added throughout cooking), however I needed to have that creamy spicy sauce. I don’t know what they used on the restaurant, however this fast chipotle mayo that I whipped up did the trick. You can drizzle it over prime, smear it on the charred floor, and even minimize the cooked cabbage into items and toss it within the sauce. Either manner, it’s superior.
Goes nice with: Chili Rubbed Pulled Pork, Chili Lime Pork Loin, Honey Spice Chicken Thighs, Glazed Pork Chops, or any grilled or BBQ meat.
Blackened Cabbage with Chipotle Mayo
Blackened Cabbage with Chipotle Mayo
Total Cost: $1.09
Cost Per Serving: $zero.27
- ½ head inexperienced cabbage* $zero.39
- 2 Tbsp excessive smoke level cooking oil $zero.08
- Pinch of salt and pepper $zero.05
- ¼ cup mayonnaise $zero.28
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder $zero.03
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder $zero.02
- ⅛ tsp salt $zero.02
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice $zero.09
- 1 Tbsp olive oil $zero.13
- Begin heating a 10″ or bigger forged iron skillet over medium-high warmth. Allow it to preheat, earlier than including the oil, for a minimum of 5 minutes.
- Remove any broken leaves from the cabbage and rinse it nicely. Cut it in half, then minimize one of many halves into 4 wedges. Leave the core intact (minimize off the very finish whether it is soiled or broken). Reserve the second half for a distinct recipe.
- Once the forged iron skillet is absolutely heated, add 1-2 Tbsp of oil and swirl to coat the floor of the skillet. Add the cabbage wedges to the skillet, ensuring that every piece is laying flat on the floor of the skillet. Season the items with a pinch of salt and pepper. Let the cabbage cook dinner undisturbed for about 7 minutes, or till the underside facet is nicely blackened.
- Flip the cabbage and season the second facet with a pinch of salt and pepper. Let cook dinner undisturbed on the second facet for about 7 minutes, or till nicely blackened. The skillet could also be smoking, so you should definitely flip in your vent hood.
- Once the cabbage items have quantity of black on either side, flip off the warmth, place a lid on the skillet, and let it steam till the cabbage (together with the core) is tender (5-7 minutes).
- While the cabbage is cooking, put together the chipotle mayo by combining the mayonnaise, chipotle powder, garlic powder, salt, lemon juice, and olive oil in a bowl. Set the chipotle mayo apart till prepared to make use of. Once the cabbage is tender, place a wedge on every plate and drizzle the chipotle mayo over prime.
*The head of cabbage I used was three lbs. when entire.
Step by Step Photos
Before you start prepping the cabbage, begin to preheat a 10″ or bigger forged iron skillet (I take advantage of this one) over medium-high warmth. It must have about 5 minutes to completely warmth by. You need it sizzling, sizzling, sizzling. Remove any soiled or broken leaves from the cabbage, and minimize it in half. You’ll solely want half of a three lb. cabbage for this recipe. Cut the half into 4 wedges. Leave the core intact to carry the wedges collectively as they cook dinner.
Once the skillet may be very sizzling, add one to 2 tablespoons of a excessive smoke level cooking oil (like canola or peanut) to the skillet and swirl it to coat the floor. Add the cabbage wedges, ensuring that every piece is laying flat on the skillet. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Let the cabbage wedges cook dinner undisturbed for about 7 minutes, or till they’re charred on the underside.
Carefully flip the cabbage (I used tongs) and cook dinner on the second facet for one more seven minutes, or till the second facet is blackened. Season the second facet with a pinch of salt and pepper once more. You can flip them once more if you need even slightly extra blackening motion. After cooking on the second facet the cabbage must be pretty tender and doubtless barely brighter inexperienced. The skillet could produce fairly a little bit of smoke because it cooks, so be sure that to show in your vent hood or open a window!
Once it’s blackened to your liking, flip the warmth off, place a lid on prime, and let it steam for 5-7 minutes, or till the cabbage is good and tender. This additionally helps maintain in among the smoke and infuses that smoky taste all through.
While the cabbage is cooking, put together the chipotle mayo. In a small bowl stir collectively 1/four cup mayonnaise, 1/four tsp chipotle powder, 1/eight tsp garlic powder, 1/eight tsp salt, 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp olive oil. I added the lemon juice and olive oil simply to skinny it out a bit in order that I may drizzle the sauce, however in case you don’t have lemon juice don’t despair. It’s good with out it, too.
Plate the cabbage wedges and drizzle that scrumptious sauce over prime (or simply skip it if you wish to maintain issues easy).
And that’s it! Super easy, tremendous scrumptious, Blackened Cabbage with Chipotle Mayo.