I’m alllll concerning the casseroles in winter. They’re heat, filling, and comforting. This week I took my favourite Broccoli Cheddar Casserole and beefed it up a bit. …Er, chickened it up a bit. I added a pair extra greens, little juicy rooster bits, and turned it into an entire meal. This Cheesy Chicken Vegetable and Rice Casserole is all of the creamy comforting goodness you’ll want for winter survival. #thestruggleisreal
Just as with fried rice, day-old or chilled rice works finest for this recipe as a result of it’s just a little extra agency, permitting it to mix simply with the opposite elements with out getting mushy. So, this Cheesy Chicken Vegetable and Rice Casserole is wonderful for utilizing up leftover rice, or in the event you prefer to prepare dinner huge batches of rice and freeze it.
One extra observe. If you need tacky however simply not super-duper tacky, merely skip the layer of cheese on prime and bake as-is (cowl with foil), or prime it with buttered bread crumbs for a crunchy topping. And sure, you should use brown rice for this.
P.S. I ate this for breakfast this morning and I’m not even sorry about it.
Cheesy Chicken Vegetable and Rice Casserole
Cheesy Chicken Vegetable and Rice Casserole
Total Cost: $6.74
Cost Per Serving: $1.12
- ½ lb. frozen broccoli florets $zero.85
- 1 boneless, skinless rooster breast (about ⅔ lb.) $1.26
- 1 Tbsp olive oil $zero.16
- Pinch of salt and pepper $zero.05
- 1 yellow onion $zero.32
- 2 carrots $zero.33
- four cups cooked lengthy grain rice $zero.75
- three Tbsp butter $zero.40
- three Tbsp flour $zero.02
- 1 cup rooster broth* $zero.13
- 1 cup entire milk $zero.38
- ½ tsp salt $zero.02
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika $zero.02
- Freshly cracked pepper $zero.05
- 8oz. medium cheddar, shredded $2.00
- Take the broccoli out of the freezer and permit it to start to thaw. Once it is tender sufficient to chop with a knife, reduce the florets into smaller, bite-sized items.
- Cut the rooster breast into small ½-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a big skillet over medium, then add the olive oil and swirl to coat the floor. Add the rooster items and prepare dinner till barely browned on the surface. Remove the rooster items to a big clear bowl.
- While the rooster is cooking, finely cube the onion, and peel and slice the carrots. Add the onion and carrots to the skillet after the rooster is eliminated and sauté till the onions are softened. Transfer the onions and carrots to the bowl with the rooster.
- Add the chopped broccoli florets (even when not absolutely thawed) and the cooked rice to the bowl with the rooster, onions, and carrots. Stir to mix, then add ½ of the shredded cheddar (about 1 cup) and stir to mix once more. Set the combination apart.
- Begin to preheat the oven to 350ºF and coat the within of a 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray. Add the butter and flour to the identical skillet used to prepare dinner the rooster and greens. Cook and whisk the butter and flour over medium warmth till it begins to foam, then proceed to stir and prepare dinner for one minute.
- Slowly whisk the rooster broth into the flour and butter combination. Allow it to come back as much as a simmer, at which era it should thicken. Once thickened, whisk within the milk and permit it to come back as much as a simmer once more. When it is thick sufficient to coat a spoon, season with smoked paprika, freshly cracked pepper, and salt.
- Pour the sauce over the rice combination within the bowl and stir till all the things is mixed and coated in sauce. Transfer the combination to the casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole, uncovered, for about 35 minutes or till it turns into golden brown across the edges. Serve sizzling.
*I take advantage of Better Than Bouillon to make my broth.
Step by Step Photos
Begin by taking 1/2 lb. broccoli florets out of the freezer and permitting them to start to thaw. Once tender sufficient to chop with a knife, chop them into smaller bite-sized items, then set them apart. Cut one boneless, skinless rooster breast into small items (about 1/2 inch) and season with salt and pepper. Heat a big skillet over medium, then add 1 Tbsp olive oil and the rooster items. Cook the rooster till it’s golden brown, then take away it to a big clear bowl.
While the rooster is cooking, cube one onion, and peel and slice two carrots. After eradicating the rooster, add the onion and carrots to the skillet and sauté for about 5 minutes, or till the onions are tender and clear. Transfer the carrots and onions to the bowl with the rooster.
Add the partially thawed broccoli and four cups cooked rice to the bowl as nicely, then stir to mix. The chilly broccoli and rice will assist cool the rooster and greens sufficient in order that they don’t soften the cheese within the subsequent step.
Add half of the 8oz. shredded cheddar to the bowl and stir to mix once more. Set this combination apart. Begin to preheat the oven to 350ºF, and coat the within of a 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray.
To the identical skillet used for the rooster and greens, add three Tbsp butter and three Tbsp flour. Cook and whisk these two collectively over medium warmth. It will begin out trying like a paste, then it should start to bubble and foam. Once it begins foaming, prepare dinner and stir for one minute.
Then whisk in a single cup rooster broth and let it come as much as a simmer…
At which level it should thicken to a pudding-like consistency.
Then whisk in a single cup entire milk and let it come as much as a simmer once more, at which level it should thicken to a pleasant sauce. Season the sauce with 1/four tsp smoked paprika, some freshly cracked pepper, and about 1/2 tsp salt (you need it to be pretty salty in order that it doesn’t get too diluted as soon as blended with the rice and greens). The orange-y shade above is because of the smoked paprika.
Pour the sauce over the rice combination within the bowl and stir to mix. Spread the combination into the ready casserole dish.
Cover with the remaining 4oz. shredded cheddar and bake for about 35 minutes at 350ºF, or till it begins to brown across the edges.
And then the tacky goodness is able to devour!