Tell me, what’s your breakfast weak spot? Pancakes? Waffles? Mine is French toast. Eggy bread that’s gentle within the center and crisp across the edges with an excellent sprint of cinnamon all through… what’s to not love? Well, it could typically be fairly an indulgent sugar bomb, which is why I wish to make it at house the place I can use substances which can be a bit lighter. I normally make French toast on the stovetop for simply myself and Jack, however at present I’m sharing this baked model which might be so scrumptious for Christmas morning or a vacation brunch the place you’re cooking for greater than 2 (although Jack had no downside ending this off…).
This French toast is lighter than most – I swapped out heavy cream for almond milk and as an alternative of normal sugar I used Truvia Brown Sugar Blend. I get SO MANY requests for decrease sugar recipes stevia-based sweetners. That’s why I’m pleased to share this recipe in partnership with Truvia.
The neatest thing about Truvia Brown Sugar Blend is that the feel is the very same as common brown sugar as a result of it’s constituted of a mix of Truvia Natural Sweetener and brown sugar. The mix is sweeter than common brown sugar so you employ half as a lot for a similar taste and sweetness however with 75% fewer energy than full-calorie brown sugar. I combined it with cinnamon and sprinkled it throughout this dish earlier than I baked it. It caramelized on high within the oven giving the highest of the bread a pleasant crisp edge.
This recipe is tremendous simple to make. Start with challah bread that’s just a few days previous and slice it fairly thick. Dip it within the egg/almond milk combination, and cargo it into the baking dish.
Sprinkle with the Truvia Brown Sugar Blend and cinnamon combination earlier than baking. Once baked, I topped mine with pomegranates and toasted almonds, however be happy to serve this with no matter toppings or fruit you want – blueberries or raspberries can be scrumptious!
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Baked French Toast
- three eggs
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon Truvia Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 10 to 12 (1-inch) slices challah bread, about 1 loaf, reduce on a slight diagonal
- Non-stick spray or olive oil
- three tablespoons Truvia Brown Sugar Blend
- ¼ heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils, or desired fruit
- Maple syrup, non-compulsory
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and evenly grease a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray or olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the eggs, almond milk, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and sea salt.
- In a small bowl, stir collectively the three tablespoons of brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Dip every slice of bread into the egg combination and overlap them, barely tilted, within the baking dish. If one facet of your loaf is greater than the opposite, alternate the slices as you place them within the dish so the tops are vertically equal. This will assist them bake and brown extra evenly. Sprinkle with the brown sugar/cinnamon combination and bake for 30 minutes or till the eggs are set and the highest is golden brown and crisp.
- Top with the toasted almonds and fruit and serve with maple syrup, if desired.
This put up is in partnership with Truvia, thanks for supporting the sponsors that preserve us cooking!
If you make this, allow us to see! Tag your photograph with #loveandlemons on Instagram.