These Cocoa Coconut Macaroons are like a cross between a traditional macaroon and a fudgy brownie. Inspired by the chocolate macaroons at Alma Handmade Chocolates in Portland, Oregon.
I’m so excited to share the recipe for these Cocoa Coconut Macaroons as a result of they’re severely certainly one of my favourite issues to return out of my kitchen, ever.
I can’t take all of the credit score, nevertheless. These macaroons are impressed by the right cocoa macaroons from Alma Handmade Chocolates in Portland, Oregon. I grew to become obsessive about this store and their macaroons after I lived in there.
These macaroons style like one thing between a traditional coconut macaroon and a fudgy brownie. I’ve additionally added a sprinkle of crunchy sea salt to the tops of mine as a result of I actually like having a sweet-salty stability in my baked treats.
There’s one ingredient right here that is perhaps a shock: applesauce! I took this tip from Elise’s recipe for Coconut Macaroons and it labored like a appeal, including moisture to the facilities and stopping them from turning into dry or crumbly.
I feel my model of those macaroons nails the flavour of Alma’s authentic. I wasn’t capable of do a side-by-side comparability so I can’t say for certain, however my reminiscence says YES!
Tips for Success
- These macaroons are made by coarsely grinding the shredded coconut and piping the cookies with a piping bag. This makes fairly, completely symmetrical cookies with a delicate texture.
- If you aren’t planning to pipe these macaroons, depart the shredded coconut as is (don’t grind) and form the macaroons with a cookie scoop or giant spoon.
- It’s not straightforward to inform by simply trying on the colour of those cookies if they’re executed since they’re already darkish brown. You’ll know after they’re executed when the cookies are nonetheless shiny however really feel dry to the contact and yield barely to light stress.
Cocoa Coconut Macaroons Recipe
- 2 1/four cups (254g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- three giant egg whites
- three/four cup (148g) sugar
- four tablespoons (22g) cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons easy applesauce
- Flaky sea salt
1 Heat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2 Grind the coconut: Pulse the coconut in a meals processor for 30 seconds, till coarsely floor. (Skip this in case you are shaping your macaroons by hand as an alternative of piping in Step four.)
three Make the batter: In a saucepan off the warmth, whisk the egg whites, sugar, cocoa, and applesauce collectively. Stir within the coconut.
Place the pan over medium warmth and prepare dinner, stirring always, till the combination is pasty and scorching to the contact.
four Shape the macaroons: Remove the pan from the warmth and scoop the macaroon batter right into a piping bag fitted with a big star tip. Pipe mounds onto a parchmentined baking sheet roughly the dimensions of walnuts of their shells.
To form by hand with out piping: Use a cookie scoop or a big soup spoon to portion out the batter.
5 Bake the macaroons: Sprinkle the tops with flaky sea salt and bake for about 12 minutes, till they really feel dry to the contact and yield barely to light stress (they may nonetheless look shiny). Remove from the oven and funky on the sheet pan on a rack. Once cool, gently carry every macaroon off the sheet pan.
Hello! All pictures and content material are copyright protected. Please don’t use our pictures with out prior written permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your individual distinctive phrases and hyperlink again to Cocoa Coconut Macaroons on Simply Recipes. Thank you!