Okay, so this recipe is fairly costly. I’ll admit that up entrance. BUT I had nearly a complete jar of roasted crimson peppers leftover from my hummus making extravaganza final week, and as a consequence of poor planning, I didn’t have one other use for the leftover peppers. Yes, I may have frozen them for later use, however I made a decision to simply go forward and use them up on the spot and never threat shedding them to the depths of my freezer. And I believe it’s essential to indicate methods you possibly can repurpose leftover components to ensure they don’t go to waste. So, I made this extremely easy, but completely decadent Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, which can be utilized a number of alternative ways.
The most blatant use for this sauce is as a tomato-free various to marinara. It’s good to alter issues up every now and then and there are lots of people who can’t eat tomatoes, so it is a nice option to go. On that observe, you might most likely additionally apply it to a pizza as a substitute for conventional pizza sauce (it will be wonderful on a mediterranean model pizza).
But I believe my favourite option to eat this sauce is simply as a dip for some actually good bread. Either simply break off a bit of your favourite bread and begin sopping up the scrumptious sauce, or slice it, brush it with olive oil, and toast it up in your oven for slightly crunch. Either means, this sauce makes an ideal appetizer or addition to a celebration tray (strive sprinkling slightly crumbled feta on there, too!).
So, should you ever end up with a jar of roasted crimson peppers…
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Total Cost: $6.02
Serves: 1.5 cups
- 16oz. jar roasted crimson peppers $four.49
- 2 Tbsp butter $zero.27
- four cloves garlic $zero.32
- ½ tsp dried basil $zero.05
- Freshly cracked pepper $zero.02
- ½ cup heavy cream $zero.87
- Add the roasted crimson peppers to a blender together with about 2 Tbsp of the liquid from the jar. Purée the peppers till easy, including a tablespoon or two of water if wanted to assist it mix (keep away from including an excessive amount of liquid from the jar as it may be very acidic).
- Mince the garlic and add it to a skillet with the butter. Sauté the garlic within the butter over medium-low warmth for 1-2 minutes, or simply till the garlic has softened and turns into very aromatic (however not browned). Pour within the puréed peppers, and add the dried basil and a few freshly cracked pepper. Stir to mix.
- Allow the sauce to come back as much as a simmer. Turn the warmth all the way down to low and let the sauce simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring usually, or till the combination is thick (see photographs under).
- Add the heavy cream to the skillet, stir till the sauce is easy, and permit to warmth via. Taste the sauce advert add salt if wanted (I discovered the liquid from the jar added sufficient salt for me). Serve heat.
Step by Step Photos
These are the roasted crimson peppers that I had available. They have been natural, so that you could possibly reduce on the value of the sauce if yow will discover a greater deal (this 16oz. jar was $four.49). You may also use crimson bell peppers that you just’ve roasted at residence, however it’s possible you’ll want so as to add salt to the sauce on the finish.
Add the roasted crimson peppers to a blender, together with a pair tablespoons of the liquid from the jar. Purée the peppers till easy. If you want extra liquid to make them mix correctly, add water relatively than extra liquid from the jar as a result of the canning liquid may be fairly acidic. You’ll find yourself with about 1.5 cups of crimson pepper purée.
Mince 4 cloves of garlic and sauté them in 2 Tbsp butter over medium-low warmth for about 1-2 minutes, or till the garlic is tender and aromatic, however not browned.
Pour within the Roasted Red Pepper purée.
Add half of tsp dried basil and a few freshly cracked pepper. Stir to mix and let the sauce come as much as a simmer. Turn the warmth all the way down to low and let it simmer, stirring incessantly, for 10-15 minutes, or till it’s thick (see subsequent picture).
When the sauce is thick sufficient to go away a clean path within the skillet while you stir it, it’s time so as to add the cream.
Stir in half of cup heavy cream. Taste the sauce and add salt if wanted (I didn’t add any because the liquid from the jar gave my sauce sufficient salt). It’s able to eat! You ought to have about 1.5 cups of sauce, which is sufficient for about 8oz. of pasta.
This Creamy Roasted Red Pepper sauce is completely luscious.
I ended up utilizing it on my leftover rigatoni from the opposite day, with some sautéed spinach and Italian sausage. PERFECT. (But I’d have been simply as pleased with a loaf of excellent bread. 😉 )