Happy Monday, it’s pasta time! This is a spin on a recipe that has been a reader favourite (additionally one among my favorites) from our cookbook. In the ebook, this creamy miso pasta is made with brussels sprouts – have you ever tried it? If so, you’re going to like this model with shiitake mushrooms and kale. If you haven’t tried it, nicely now’s your likelihood 🙂
The cashew cream has simply 5 elements: cashews, miso paste, garlic, lemon, and black pepper. It’s so easy to make, but it’s so hearty and scrumptious – particularly with sautéed shiitake mushrooms. Shiitakes have such a beautiful umami taste – I simply love them right here with this shiny lemon-y sauce. There’s additionally some kale in right here for good measure.
I used brown rice fusilli, however any brief pasta minimize (spirals, shells, and so on) will work nice in right here to absorb the sauce.
Creamy Vegan Shiitake & Kale Pasta
- eight ounces fusilli pasta (I used brown rice fusilli)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- eight ounces destemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms
- juice of ½ a small lemon, extra to style
- 5 to six kale leaves, sliced
- pinch of pink pepper flakes, non-obligatory
- shaved macadamia nut and/or parmesan cheese for garnish, non-obligatory
- ½ cup uncooked cashews, soaked at the least four hours or in a single day*
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon contemporary lemon juice
- freshly floor black pepper
- Make the miso cashew lemon cream sauce by mixing collectively the cashews, water, miso paste, garlic, lemon juice and pinches of pepper in a high-speed blender till creamy. Set apart.
- Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil and cook dinner the pasta in line with package deal instructions, or till al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the starchy pasta water earlier than draining the pasta.
- While your pasta cooks, warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the shiitake mushrooms and sauté, stirring solely sometimes, for two to three minutes. Add the scallions and proceed to cook dinner one other couple of minutes till the mushrooms are tender and browned. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, stir, after which add the kale. Cook till the kale is barely wilted, add one other squeeze of lemon juice, and stir. Add the pasta, toss once more and drizzle with ½ the cream sauce. Season to style with extra salt, pepper and remaining cream sauce, as desired. If your sauce is just too clumpy, stir within the reserved pasta water, as wanted to create a creamy consistency.
- Serve sizzling garnished with shaved macadamia nuts, parmesan cheese and a pinch of pink pepper flakes, if desired.
*The cashew sauce is finest made in a excessive velocity blender, resembling a vitamix. If you are utilizing a daily blender, soak the cashews for 24 hours and mix longer till the sauce is easy. Add extra water if needed.
If you make this, allow us to see! Tag your photograph with #loveandlemons on Instagram.