I lastly obtained my pantry so as. Ok, that’s not completely correct – it’s a large number of nuts, seeds, oats, and flours all piled on prime of one another as a result of nothing has “its place” but within the new kitchen. But the truth that I’ve many of the necessities not less than in there is progress (proper?). So once I introduced this stunning broccoli residence from the farmers market a couple of weeks in the past, I turned to my mostly-stocked pantry to make my broccoli – stems, leaves, and all! – right into a full meal. What got here out is that this creamy white bean puree that I poured over shells and broccoli.
One factor about this recipe – it’s not mac & cheese. I do know it seems tacky and there’s an possibility beneath to make use of cheese in case you don’t wish to use dietary yeast, however this sauce isn’t meant to recreate cheese. It’s lusciously bean-y, slightly tangy, tremendous homey, and scrumptious in its personal manner.
I serve this the best way I serve most saucey pastas – combine many of the sauce into the pan with the broccoli and the shells, and reserve the remaining sauce to spoon on prime of the portioned bowls.
Creamy White Bean Shells w/ Broccoli
- 2½ cups small shell pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cups broccoli florets, chopped stems, and leaves (preserve stems separate)
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- lemon wedges, for serving
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can cooked white beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup vegetable broth, extra as wanted
- three tablespoons contemporary lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup dietary yeast*
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly floor black pepper, to style
- Make the sauce: In a blender, mix the white beans, broth, lemon juice, olive oil, dietary yeast, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper, and mix till easy. Set apart.
- Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare the pasta based on the directions on the package deal, cooking till al dente. Drain and put aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion and sauté till comfortable, about 5 minutes.
- Stir within the chopped broccoli stems and cook dinner for an additional three to five minutes or till tender. Add the broccoli florets and leaves and a splash of water or vegetable broth. Cover and switch off the warmth.
- Allow the broccoli to steam for two to three minutes or till tender however nonetheless brilliant inexperienced. Add the pasta, then stir in ¾ of the sauce, including extra broth if the sauce is just too dry.
- Season to style with extra salt, pepper and lemon juice, as desired, and portion into bowls. Divide the remaining sauce onto every bowl. Top with the pine nuts and serve with lemon wedges on the facet.
*If you don’t have dietary yeast, you’ll be able to substitute with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
If you make this, allow us to see! Tag your photograph with #loveandlemons on Instagram.