Have you ever gotten taste overload? Like when you eat an excessive amount of and the following day all you wish to eat is one thing actually easy? Okay, perhaps that’s simply me or as a result of I work with meals daily, however yesterday I simply wished one thing that tasted, nicely, for lack of a greater phrase, clear. I hate utilizing the phrase clear when speaking about meals as a result of it’s such a buzzword, however that’s really how this Golden Coconut Lentil Soup tastes. It’s gentle, vivid, clear, and easy. And that’s precisely what I wanted yesterday.
I’ve made lentils with coconut milk a number of occasions, however this time I thinned it out to a soup to maintain it gentle and made positive that spicy ginger took middle stage. Turmeric provides this soup an extremely vibrant colour and an earthy taste base, whereas wealthy coconut milk holds the flavors collectively and offers the soup physique (watery soup = no bueno). I selected to not use any bouillon or broth for this soup as a result of I wished to maintain the flavors clear and recent, however if you need one thing with a bit extra depth you would actually substitute a few of the water for vegetable or rooster broth (I really feel like rooster broth would mix higher with the flavors, however vegetable broth can be utilized to maintain it vegetarian).
I piled just a few enjoyable toppings into this soup to make it a bit extra of a meal, however they’re utterly optionally available. A easy piece of naan bread would even be nice. I discovered some massive unsweetened coconut flakes within the bulk bins at Whole Foods and toasted them up in a skillet so as to add colour and texture. I additionally added a small scoop of jasmine rice to every bowl to present my mouth a bit extra one thing to chew on. Plus, lentils are rice are like peanut butter and jelly, you gotta have one with the opposite. 🙂
Golden Coconut Lentil Soup
Golden Coconut Lentil Soup
Total Cost: $four.27
Cost Per Serving: $1.07
Serves: four (1.5 cups every)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (or coconut oil) $zero.13
- 1 yellow onion $zero.32
- 2 cloves garlic $zero.16
- 1 inch recent ginger (about 1 Tbsp grated) $zero.13
- ½ Tbsp floor turmeric $zero.15
- Pinch purple pepper flakes $zero.02
- 2-Three carrots $zero.33
- ½ lb. purple or yellow lentils (about 1 cup) $1.35
- four cups water $zero.00
- 13.5 oz. coconut milk $zero.99
- ½ Tbsp salt (or to style) $zero.05
- ⅓ cup massive, unsweetened coconut flakes $zero.16
- ¼ bunch cilantro $zero.10
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice $zero.38
- Add the olive oil to a big pot. Dice the onion, mince the garlic, and grate or mince the ginger (I take advantage of a small-holed cheese grater). Sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger within the olive oil over medium warmth for 2-Three minutes, or till the onions are mushy and clear. While the onions, garlic, and ginger are sautéing, peel and slice the carrots.
- Add the turmeric and purple pepper to the pot and sauté for a minute extra. Add the carrots to the pot, sauté for a minute extra, then add the lentils and water. Place a lid on the pot, convey it as much as a boil over excessive warmth, then flip the warmth right down to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Toast the coconut flakes whereas the soup simmers. Add the coconut flakes to a dry skillet and place it over medium-low warmth. Stir repeatedly because the flakes warmth till they’re about 50% golden brown (1-Three minutes). Remove the flakes from the recent skillet instantly to cease the toasting course of.
- After 20 minutes the lentils must be mushy and damaged down. Stir the coconut milk into the soup. Use an immersion blender or rigorously mix the nice and cozy soup in small batches till about half of the soup is puréed (or all of it if you need it utterly easy). Once blended, start including salt, ½ tsp at a time, till the soup is correctly seasoned. I used 1.5 tsp or ½ Tbsp of salt. Also modify the purple pepper flakes, if desired.
- To serve the soup, ladle about 1.5 cups right into a bowl and high with ½ cup cooked rice, some recent cilantro leaves, and a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes.
Step by Step Photos
Begin by dicing one yellow onion, mincing two cloves of garlic, and grating or mincing about 1 inch of recent ginger (about 1 Tbsp). Add the onion, garlic, and ginger to a big pot with 1 Tbsp olive or coconut oil. Sauté over medium warmth till the onions are mushy and clear. Add half of Tbsp turmeric and a pinch of purple pepper flakes. Sauté for about one minute extra.
While the onions are sautéing, peel and slice 2-Three carrots. Add them to the pot and sauté for a minute extra, then add half of lb. purple or yellow lentils (about 1 cup).
Then add four cups water. Place a lid on the pot and produce it as much as a boil over excessive warmth. Once it reaches a boil, flip the warmth right down to low and simmer for 20 minutes (photograph is earlier than simmering).
While the soup is simmering, toast the coconut flakes. Place about 1/Three cup massive, unsweetened coconut flakes in a dry skillet. Stir and cook dinner over medium-low warmth till they’re about 50% toasted. This occurs shortly, so ensure you’re stirring continually. Remove them from the skillet as quickly as they’re completed in order that they don’t proceed to brown.
After 20 minutes the lentils must be mushy and damaged down. The soup will nonetheless style extraordinarily bland at this level as a result of no salt has been added.
Add one 13.5oz. can of full fats coconut milk – not the stuff that you simply discover within the dairy cooler that’s used as a dairy milk substitute. That is simply too skinny.
Canned coconut milk is thick and often has a layer of semi-solid fats on high. One of the explanations I used to be SO excited to lastly get a Trader Joe’s in New Orleans is as a result of they’ve tremendous cheap coconut milk that’s truly actually good high quality. Yay!
After including the coconut milk, use an immersion blender or rigorously mix batches of the soup in a daily blender till about half of the soup is puréed. This will assist thicken up the soup and make it extra cohesive. If utilizing a daily blender, be VERY cautious. It’s at all times a good suggestion to drape a towel over the blender when mixing sizzling or heat liquids to protect your self from any potential explosions. This can also be the time to lastly season the soup with salt. Start including salt, half of tsp at a time, till the soup tastes correctly salted to you. I used 1.5 tsp, or half of Tbsp of salt complete.
To serve the Golden Coconut Lentil Soup, place about 1.5 cups of the soup in a bowl and add a half of cup cooked rice to the middle. Sprinkle recent cilantro and the toasted coconut flakes over high. I additionally added just a few extra purple pepper flakes as a result of I prefer it HOT. 😉