If you ask anybody in Austin the place they get their favourite breakfast tacos, you’ll get a special reply from each particular person. Austinites have opinions about breakfast tacos like Chicagoans have opinions about pizza. Since I moved to Austin a lot of years in the past, I’ve eaten extra breakfast tacos than I may ever start to depend – most I’ve beloved (some I haven’t) however in spite of everything that, my favourite place to have them… is at residence. For 2 causes:
First, I wish to eat breakfast proper after I get up, so I often don’t have the persistence to even run down the road to get tacos within the morning.
Second, I could make my model nonetheless I would like – which suggests goodbye greasy tacos and good day tons of veggies. The base of those tacos is a really inexperienced egg scramble that’s stuffed with inexperienced peppers, scallions, arugula, and a scoop of recent yellow tomato salsa. These tacos are recent, wholesome, and lighter than something you’d discover at a restaurant or truck.
And talking of issues which are inexperienced – this put up is in collaboration with GreenPan and their Healthy Cooking begins with Healthy Cookware marketing campaign. Years in the past, lengthy earlier than this weblog existed, I removed all of my scratchy teflon pans and switched to the non-toxic GreenPan. GreenPan was the primary firm to start out making ceramic non-stick cookware (they’re celebrating their 10th anniversary this yr!) and I believe I used to be amongst the primary to start out shopping for them. I get tons and tons of use out of mine – particularly for eggs, pancakes, and usually any meals that I don’t need sticking to the underside of my pan. The slick ceramic floor additionally signifies that I can get away with utilizing much less oil in my cooking, so these chemical-free pans are essential in my view.
I’ve this set, which is tremendous versatile and the white & blue shade combo is simply so fairly.
So step one to this recipe is to make the salsa. This might be executed the evening earlier than to make your morning cooking simpler.
Next, cook dinner the veggies. I like to do that in a separate pan from my eggs as a result of I discover it simpler to evaluate the cooking occasions. Needless to say, GreenPan nonstick cookware is a breeze to scrub up.
When the salsa and veggies are completed, I begin cooking the eggs and stir the greens in midway via. This is perhaps a private choice, however I wish to take my eggs of the stovetop whereas they’re nonetheless somewhat bit runny to maintain them from overcooking whereas I assemble the tacos.
Once off the warmth, I stir in an enormous handful of chopped leafy greens. I typically go for spinach, however this time I had some nice wanting arugula. I additionally tossed in some cilantro for good measure.
Assemble the tacos with extra salsa, avocado and a splash of pepper. These are dairy free as a result of I’m not an enormous fan of cheese in my eggs. If you employ corn tortillas, they’re additionally gluten free (examine the label of your tortillas to ensure).
Healthy Breakfast Tacos
- 1 massive yellow tomato, diced
- three tablespoons diced crimson onion
- three tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ½ to 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- juice from ½ lime
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 inexperienced pepper, cored, stem eliminated, and diced
- three scallions, chopped
- 6 eggs, crushed
- 2 cups arugula or spinach, chopped
- extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- eight tortillas (corn, flour, wheat – no matter you want)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, extra for garnish
- 1 avocado, sliced
- lime wedges
- Make the Yellow Tomato Salsa: In a small bowl, mix the tomato, onion, cilantro, serrano, garlic, lime juice and salt. Chill till prepared to make use of.
- In a small nonstick skillet, warmth a drizzle of olive oil over medium warmth. Add the inexperienced pepper, scallions and a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté till flippantly browned, about 5 minutes. Scoop a big spoonful of the salsa into the pepper combination and stir. Remove from the warmth and put aside.
- Brush a big nonstick stick skillet flippantly with olive oil and convey to medium warmth. Add the eggs, allow them to cook dinner for a number of seconds after which stir. Add the inexperienced pepper combination to the eggs. Continue to stir and scramble the eggs till simply set. Remove from the pan from the warmth whereas the eggs are barely runny and stir within the arugula and half of the additional cilantro.
- Assemble the tacos with the egg combination, a scoop of salsa, the remaining cilantro and some slices of avocado. Finish with a squeeze of lime and a pinch of salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Special due to GreenPan for sponsoring this put up. All photos and opinions are my very own.