It looks like day by day nowadays is a few new National ___ Day… National Dog Day, National Donut Day. But right now is additional particular, as a result of right now isn’t just a National day, however a World day, and probably among the best meals World days, as it’s… World Pasta Day! So clearly to have a good time, I made pasta!
This mushroom pasta was impressed by our current journey to Parma, Italy the place we traveled final month to attend the Barilla® Pasta World Championship. Mushrooms have been in season within the space and each restaurant we went to appeared to have a mushroom particular. Mushroom ravioli, mushroom spaghetti, mushroom soup, mushroom every thing. Jack and I occur to like mushrooms so I used to be itching to make this mushroom-lovers spaghetti as soon as we received residence.
This recipe, clearly, begins with the mushrooms. I used sliced cremini mushrooms, however by all means, combine in different varieties resembling chanterelle mushrooms or oyster mushrooms if you wish to get loopy together with your mushrooms. The remainder of these substances – olive oil, garlic, herbs, and a contact of cashew cream with Dijon mustard – appear so easy, however they praise the mushrooms in such a scrumptious method. Specifically, when you’ve by no means tried tarragon earlier than it has an anise/licorice taste that you simply may not love at first sniff, nevertheless it REALLY makes the deep savory taste of the mushrooms pop.
Now that the climate is cooling off, that is our sort of weeknight recipe. It’s fast to toss collectively, which is the fantastic thing about pasta, however can also be so yummy, satisfying, and really versatile. For instance, when you don’t have tarragon and chives, rosemary and/or sage can be scrumptious… sub in gluten-free pasta if you wish to, and there’s a vegan possibility (beneath) to make use of cashew cream as a substitute of standard cream. Of course when you’re not vegan, prime this with contemporary Parmigiano-Reggiano as a result of this recipe is impressed by Parma in spite of everything!
Herb & Garlic Mushroom Pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms, de-stemmed and sliced
- eight ounces Barilla Spaghetti, plus ⅓ cup reserved pasta water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup dry white wine (resembling chardonnay or pinot grigio)
- ¼ to ⅓ cup cashew cream (beneath)
- ⅓ cup chopped contemporary tarragon
- ⅓ cup chopped contemporary chives
- ⅓ cup shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- savory cashew cream (this makes additional)*
- ⅓ cup uncooked cashews + ½ cup water (or skip this combination and use common cream)
- ½ clove garlic (a small one)
- ½ teaspoon contemporary lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Make the cashew cream by mixing all substances in a excessive pace blender till clean. Set apart. (notice: it’s not going to be very thick, it ought to be the consistency of half & half or heavy cream).
- In a big pan warmth the olive oil oil over medium warmth. Add the mushrooms, just a few beneficiant pinches of salt and pepper, and prepare dinner till delicate and wilted, stirring sometimes, about eight to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare dinner the pasta in salted boiling water 1 minute in need of the package deal instructions, till al dente. Reserve ⅓ cup of the starchy pasta water earlier than draining.
- To the mushrooms, add the wine. Stir and let it scale back for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir within the garlic, then the cooked pasta and toss. Add just a few splashes of the cashew cream and some splashes of the pasta water and toss to create a lightweight sauce. Add half of the contemporary herbs and season to style. Serve instantly with remaining contemporary herbs and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on prime.
To make this gluten free, use gluten free pasta.
Change up the herbs: rosemary and/or sage can be scrumptious right here, however add these heartier herbs to the pan as you add the mushrooms so that they’re going to prepare dinner greater than the softer herbs.