I don’t eat a number of sweets, so after I do I be sure it’s one thing that A) shouldn’t be too-too candy and B) it’s one thing I can preserve within the freezer and eat just a bit bit at a time. I got here throughout this recipe for 15-Minute Puff Pastry from Dessert for Two and needed to strive it instantly. This actually quick and simple pastry dough is ideal for filling with no matter candy or savory deliciousness that you just need. I ended up simply sprinkling just a few chocolate chips in each bit, rolling it up like a croissant, and turning them into these cute little Homemade Chocolate Crescent Rolls.
After testing the recipe a few instances, I ended up tweaking the ratio of substances a bit from the Dessert for Two recipe, however which may be as a result of I used to be simply utilizing regular-Joe grocery retailer butter as an alternative of top quality, unsalted butter. I diminished the butter by 2 Tbsp, decreased the salt to 1/eight tsp, and used solely about 1/four cup of water. This ratio, for me, produced dough that was sturdy sufficient to puff up a little bit bit within the oven and with simply the correct quantity of savory buttery taste to go with my chocolate chips.
You can freeze these Chocolate Crescent Rolls after you apply the egg wash, however earlier than baking. Freeze them first on a baking sheet or plate (with parchment in order that they don’t freeze TO the floor), then switch them to a heavy obligation freezer bag as soon as strong. To bake them, simply take them out of the freezer proper whenever you begin to preheat the oven, they usually can go straight into the oven as soon as it’s totally heated, regardless that they’ll nonetheless be largely frozen. They’ll in all probability take a minute or two longer to bake, however they’re sufficiently small to thaw and bake rapidly even straight from the freezer. So, make six now and save 4 for later!
Homemade Chocolate Crescent Rolls
Homemade Chococlate Crescent Rolls
Total Cost: $2.15
Cost Per Serving: $zero.36 every
Serves: 6 rolls
- 1 cup all-purpose flour $zero.12
- eight Tbsp chilly butter (salted) $1.07
- ⅛ tsp salt $zero.02
- ¼ cup ice water $zero.00
- ½ cup chocolate chips $zero.67
- 1 giant egg $zero.27
- Add the flour and salt to to a bowl or meals processor. Cut the butter into 1 tablespoon chunks, and add it to the flour and salt. Pulse the meals processor or use a pastry cutter to work the butter into the flour till the butter is in items the scale of peas. Add simply sufficient water to type a cohesive ball of dough, with no dry flour left on the underside of the bowl (about ¼ cup).
- Turn the dough out onto a floured floor and form it right into a rectangle. Roll the dough out till it’s about twice it is unique measurement, then fold it into thirds like a letter. Give the dough 1 / 4 flip and roll it out as soon as once more. Repeat the rolling, folding, and turning sequence 5-6 instances to create layers within the dough, ensuring to flour the work floor as you go so the dough would not stick. After the ultimate fold, wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour or as much as in the future.
- After the dough has rested within the fridge, start to preheat the oven to 400ºF. Roll the dough out to a rectangle, roughly 16×6 inches. Cut the rolled dough into three equal items horizontally, then minimize every rectangle diagonally into two triangles. Place just a few chocolate chips within the large finish of every triangle. Roll the triangles up, starting with the large finish, and ending with the purpose. Bend every roll barely right into a crescent form.
- Place the crescent rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk collectively one egg with 1 Tbsp water. Brush the egg wash over every crescent roll. Bake the crescent rolls for 20-22 minutes, or till they’re deep golden brown and barely puffed. Serve heat.
Step by Step Photos
Start by including 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/eight tsp salt, and eight Tbsp chilly butter to a bowl or meals processor. Make certain the butter is chilly and minimize into chunks (about 1 Tbsp every).
Pulse the combination within the meals processor, or use a pastry cutter to work the butter into the dough till it’s in pea-sized chunks. You need barely bigger chunks of butter for this dough as a result of it helps make a extremely flaky pastry and helps it puff up.
Pulse the combination (or stir) whereas pouring in about 1/four cup ice chilly water to type a dough. You may have barely roughly water to make your dough type a cohesive piece of dough. This can fluctuate relying on the moisture content material of your flour and water content material of the butter.
Turn the dough out onto a floured floor and form it right into a rectangle along with your arms.
Roll the dough out till it’s about twice its measurement, then fold it over in thirds, like a letter.
Give the dough 1 / 4 flip, then roll it out once more. Repeat this roll, fold, flip course of 5-6 instances to create a number of skinny layers within the dough. Make certain to mud the work floor usually, however frivolously, to stop the dough from sticking.
After the ultimate fold, wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour or as much as in the future.
After the dough has rested within the fridge, start to preheat the oven to 400ºF. Roll the dough out to a rectangle, about 16×6 inches. Cut the rectangle into three equal items, horizontally, then minimize every of the smaller rectangles diagonally into two triangles.
Place just a few chocolate chips on the large finish of every triangle.
Roll every triangle up, beginning with the large finish and ending with the purpose. Gently bend every roll right into a slight crescent form.
In a small bowl, whisk collectively a big egg with 1 Tbsp water. Brush the egg wash over every crescent roll. You can freeze all or a number of the rolls at this level.
Place the rolls that you just want to bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or till they’re deep golden brown and overvalued. Serve heat (ideally with espresso)!