Why on earth would you make do-it-yourself pumpkin puree when everyone knows the stuff from the can is completely tremendous? Good query, listed below are a number of causes:
1. You reside in a rustic the place they don’t promote pumpkin puree in cans. I’m unsure precisely which international locations do and don’t export America’s favourite canned vegetable, however yearly it comes up within the feedback each time I publish fall pumpkin recipes, so I really feel like there are sufficient of you on the market!
2. You bought overzealous on the farmers market as a result of the pumpkin was so cute and fall wanting, and also you didn’t notice you’d have no less than 20 kilos/9 kilos of pumpkin to take care of. (pictured above)
three. You went out and acquired a pumpkin to make this soup (yay!!), and now you could have a lot of pumpkin left over.
four. Because generally it’s simply enjoyable to make one thing from scratch, like do-it-yourself tortillas, pizza dough, and many others., although there are completely good variations out there on the retailer.
So right here we go, let’s begin our pumpkin puree! It’s not rocket science, principally it’s essential scoop out the seeds and roast the pumpkin till fork tender…
Once cooled, scoop the flesh from the pores and skin and run it by means of a meals processor till it’s clean.
Depending in your pumpkin (or squash… this can be finished with sure squashes), the consistency of your puree could also be extra watery than that of a canned puree. If you’re making pie, you would possibly wish to pressure the surplus liquid by letting it sit in a tremendous mesh strainer (or cheesecloth) over a bowl for 30 minutes. In baking recipes like these cookies or this pumpkin bread, I merely used about 2 tablespoons much less liquid (much less oil within the cookies, much less water within the bread).
Of course there are savory makes use of too! The puree could possibly be made right into a creamy soup, or seasoned and stirred into risotto (I’m going to strive that subsequent!)
Note: once I used buttercup squash, my puree was a lot thicker. Another word: you don’t wish to use these large Halloween carving pumpkins as a result of they’re too fibrous to create a candy, comfortable puree.
Store the leftover pumpkin puree within the fridge or freeze it for later!
Homemade Pumpkin Puree
- 1 pumpkin or giant squash: a sugar pie pumpkin, cheese pumpkin (pictured), buttercup squash, butternut squash, or kabocha squash. Avoid the massive halloween carving pumpkins as a result of their flesh is just too fibrous for a comfortable puree.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with foil. Slice the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and place reduce facet down on the baking sheet. (Note: within the photos mine is reduce into quarters as a result of I had already reduce into it when making this soup).
- Roast for 40 minutes or till the flesh is comfortable and a fork simply slides in. Let cool for about 1 hour. Use your palms to peel the flesh from the pores and skin and place in a meals processor. Puree till clean, let your meals processor run for a few minute, stopping to scrape down the edges as wanted.
- Transfer to containers and chill till prepared to make use of.