Here’s the best way to make excellent rice on the range prime with no recipe. Works with white or brown rice. Best for weeknight stir-fries, rice bowls, burritos, or served plain as a easy rice facet dish.
If all you want is a plain bowl of rice to serve with dinner, that is the best, most foolproof technique that I do know.
You don’t want measuring cups, a recipe, or perhaps a particular water-to-rice ratio — simply cowl the rice with a couple of inches of water, convey it to a boil, then simmer till the rice is tender. Drain the rice, return it to the pot, and let it steam in its personal residual warmth till you’re able to serve.
Super straightforward, proper? It’s nothing fancy, however I promise that it will get the job accomplished.
I first discovered this rice-cooking technique in culinary college. As somebody who all the time appears to burn the rice on the backside of the pot it doesn’t matter what recipe I comply with, studying this manner of cooking rice was a life-saver. I’ve used it ever since at any time when I desire a easy, un-fussy bowl of rice.
This method works finest with long-grain white rice, like basmati, Texmati, or jasmine, or long-grain brown rice. You may use it to prepare dinner short-grain rice (or barley, farro, or every other grain, for that matter), however you’ll lose a few of the distinctive textures and sticky properties that come from correctly cooking these grains.
You can prepare dinner any quantity of rice you want, one serving or ten servings, so long as you employ a large enough pot. One cup of dry rice will make about 4 cups of cooked rice, so simply scale up or down relying on how a lot you might want to make.
You additionally don’t must measure out a precise quantity of water or keep in mind any water-to-rice ratios. Just cowl your rice with sufficient water in order that it has room to bob up and down. It’s like cooking pasta! (If the dearth of precision makes you nervous, use roughly three or 4 cups of water for every cup of rice.)
Think of this as your “everyday rice.” It’s nice for issues like weeknight stir-fries, freezer burritos, and straightforward rice bowls. If you’re out there for one thing a bit of fancier — like what you may serve at a pleasant dinner or when attempting to impress a date — go for a rice pilaf or one thing like this Cilantro Lime Rice.
Just a few tricks to comply with
- It’s finest to undercook your rice ever so barely on the boiling stage. You need it to be tender, however nonetheless a contact extra agency that you just often prefer it. It will proceed to prepare dinner because it steams. (If you wait till it’s completely cooked earlier than draining, then it’d turn out to be mushy or overcooked because it steams.)
- If you detest gummy rice and try for particular person, distinct grains, attempt rinsing the raw rice a couple of instances with water earlier than cooking. This rinses the surplus starch from the grains. You may toast the rinsed grains in a bit of butter or olive oil earlier than including the water, or toss the cooked rice with a bit of butter or olive oil if you switch it again to the pan for steaming.
- You can save the liquid from cooking the rice and use it to thicken soups, use in baking, and even drink by itself. Just keep in mind that it’s been salted so that you’ll want to love wish to modify the salt in the recipe the place it’s used.
- Scrub and clear your strainer instantly after utilizing in order that the starch from the rice doesn’t have time to dry on the strainer. Trust me, dried rice starch may be very annoying to wash.
How to Make Rice Without a Recipe
- 1 cup or extra long-grain white or brown rice
1 Pour the rice a medium pot with a lid and canopy with water by a couple of inches. Add no less than 1 teaspoon of salt (extra if you happen to’re cooking greater than 1 cup of rice). Stir a couple of instances to verify the rice and water are combined.
2 Bring to a boil over excessive warmth, then scale back to a simmer. Let the water come to a rolling boil, then scale back the warmth till it maintains a delicate effervescent simmer.
three Cook the rice till barely tender: White rice will prepare dinner in roughly 10 to 15 minutes. Brown rice will prepare dinner in roughly 20 to 30 minutes. Stir the rice a couple of instances throughout cooking, if you keep in mind. Taste it as you get towards the tip of cooking to check its doneness. It’s prepared when tender and not crunchy, however nonetheless a contact too agency to your liking.
four Drain the rice: Set the strainer over your sink or a big bowl and pressure the rice and cooking liquid. (The cooking liquid might be saved for different cooking tasks.)
Shake the strainer a couple of instances to totally drain the rice.
5 Return to the pot, cowl, and steam the rice: Immediately after straining, whereas the rice remains to be scorching, switch the rice again to the pot and canopy with the lid. Let stand off the warmth, for 10 to 15 minutes.
6 Fluff and serve: Uncover the rice, fluff with a fork, and serve.
Hello! All images and content material are copyright protected. Please don’t use our images with out prior written permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your individual distinctive phrases and hyperlink again to How to Make Rice Without a Recipe on Simply Recipes. Thank you!