Just a few years in the past, I posted Seared Tofu Banh Mi sandwiches on the weblog and to this present day they’re one among our hottest recipes. I like an excellent Banh Mi, so I’m in no way stunned. This recipe is a model of that – sans the bread. Not that I really feel there’s something fallacious with an excellent toasty baguette right here and there, however in an effort to lighten issues up I current spring rolls. Or ought to they be referred to as summer season rolls? Either method, let’s get on with our banh-mi-like filling.
There are a number of steps concerned on this recipe, however up till the rolling, the whole lot can be made prematurely. The recipe begins by making banh mi pickles. After you make them, they are often saved within the fridge for not less than a month, so that you’ll be ready subsequent time a banh mi craving hits.
Next, marinate the tofu in a garlic-tamari-lime-lemongrass combination. This publish is the final in the collection of our partnership with methodology (see publish’s 1, 2, and three). The inspiration behind this publish got here when methodology requested me to provide you with a lemongrass recipe impressed by their lemongrass scented kitchen wash. I believe that is my favourite of all of them as a result of I simply love lemongrass. Love & Lemongrass might be our subsequent weblog’s identify.
Here’s a step-by-step of how I tuck and roll!
Lemongrass Banh Mi Spring Rolls
- 1 daikon radish, sliced into matchsticks
- 2 carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- ½ medium cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- pinch of cane sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- three tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- 10 ounces extra-firm tofu
- Four ounces cooked vermicelli noodles
- eight (8½-inch) spring roll rice paper circles
- beneficiant handful of herbs (mint, basil and/or cilantro)
- sea salt
- ¼ cup mayo or vegan mayo
- ½ teaspoon sriracha, extra to style
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Make the pickled veggies. Place the radish, carrot, cucumber and jalapeno slices right into a medium-sized jar. In a small bowl, whisk collectively the rice and white wine vinegars, sugar and the salt and pour the combination into the jar with the greens. Chill within the fridge for not less than 1 hour, or in a single day.
- Make the lemongrass tofu marinade. Prepare the lemongrass by chopping off the foundation finish and the robust higher stem of the stalk. Remove the thick outer half after which use the again of a chef’s knife to bash the lemongrass. This helps launch its taste. Finely chop the internal layers, the tender white and lightweight inexperienced half solely (this could yield about 1½ tablespoons of minced lemongrass).
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively the lemongrass, olive oil, tamari, lime juice, garlic and maple syrup.
- Cut the tofu into eight Four-inch lengthy thick strips, and place in a rimmed baking dish. Pour ¾ of the marinade over the tofu and use your arms to flip the tofu within the dish till properly coated. Chill for 30 minutes. (Reserve the remaining ¼ marinade to brush onto the tofu after it bakes.)
- Make the sriracha mayo dipping sauce. In a small bowl, combine collectively the mayonnaise, sriracha and lime juice. Season to style and chill till prepared to make use of.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the tofu from the marinade and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or till golden brown and agency across the edges, flipping midway by means of. Remove the tofu from the oven and brush with the remaining marinade and a pinch of salt.
- Assemble the spring rolls: Fill a shallow glass baking dish with 1 inch of heat water. Submerge one rice paper within the heat water for 15 seconds after which lay the softened wrapper on a clear kitchen towel. Place a portion of vermicelli noodles, a chunk of tofu and a number of the pickled veggies on the rice paper and prime with some herbs. Fold the underside of the wrapper over the filling and gently tuck the filling beneath the wrapper. Fold the edges over the filling. Then proceed rolling and tucking the rice paper to type a spring roll. Repeat with the remaining rice papers.
- Serve with the sriracha mayo dipping sauce and tamari on the facet.
If you make this, allow us to see! Tag your photograph with #loveandlemons on Instagram.