OMG you guys, I feel I could have simply cooked for the final time in my kitchen. 😢 If you haven’t heard, we’re about to maneuver from New Orleans to Nashville and later this week I’ll start packing up my kitchen. New recipes have been sluggish on the weblog the previous couple of weeks as we put together the whole lot for the transfer and scramble to repair the whole lot that appears to be breaking final minute, however I nonetheless made time for my meal prep this week. For this Portobello Fajita Meal Prep I mixed the filling for my favourite Chipotle Portobello Oven Fajitas with some Cowboy Caviar, and a giant fats slice of my Sweet Potato Cornbread. It’s a novel combo, however so stuffed with taste and I promise you received’t go away lunch hungry.
I used to be actually craving Sweet Potato Cornbread this week so I labored it into my meal prep by skipping the tortilla on the fajitas and simply serving the portobello vegetable combine by itself. I felt that the tortilla plus that vast slice of cornbread could be a bit of too carb-heavy for me. Unfortunately I don’t have vegan substitutions for the substances within the cornbread, so if you wish to make this field vegan I counsel going to the tortilla route.
As I discussed earlier, I’m an “eat everything in one bite” sort of particular person so it doesn’t trouble me to have all my meals touching like this, however if you happen to’re specific about serving meals at sure temperatures or don’t like juices mingling collectively, scroll to the underside of the submit the place I’ll define some suggestions for storing the meals.
Portobello Fajita Meal Prep
This Portobello Fajita Meal Prep Includes:
Chipotle Portobello Oven Fajitas (sans-tortillas): $9.58
Sweet Potato Cornbread: $four.00
Cowboy Caviar: $5.80
four meals + leftover cornbread & cowboy caviar!
Cost per Box: $four.06
Cost of Leftovers: $three.16
About that avocado…
The fajita recipe contains avocado, which is completely non-compulsory, however folks at all times ask how I retailer avocado with my leftovers with out them turning “black.” The reply is that I simply allow them to get a bit of brown and don’t fear about it. Sliced avocado doesn’t flip fully black like mashed avocado does, it simply turns a bit of darker and browns across the edges like apple slices. It nonetheless tastes the identical to me.
BUT I do know it creeps lots of people out and generally is a actual flip off, so right here’s a tip. Take a bit of of the lime (there’s a lime included in each the fajita and the cowboy caviar recipes) and squeeze the juice over the avocado slices. Toss the slices till they’re rather well coated the juice. The juice helps stop the oxidization that causes the avocado to darken. Or you’ll be able to simply go away the avocado out and keep away from the scenario all collectively. Slightly bitter cream could be superior as a replacement.
- You don’t should retailer your meal prep multi function container. If you don’t like meals touching, juices mingling, or meals being served in any respect one temperature, be happy to retailer your objects in separate containers or in a divided, bento-style container. For this meal, forinstance, I’m certain lots of people would slightly wrap their cornbread in a sandwich bag to maintain it from absorbing juices from the fajita combine and the bean salad. The vital half is that the whole lot is pre-portioned, but it surely doesn’t essentially should be in a single container.
- If you wish to eat your cowboy caviar chilly and your fajita greens sizzling, both eat the cowboy caviar as a primary course earlier than reheating your field, or retailer them in separate containers.
- You’ll have 4 items of leftover Sweet Potato Cornbread after making this meal. Luckily the candy potato cornbread freezes nice! Just be certain it cools fully at room temperature earlier than wrapping each bit after which putting them in a freezer bag. I additionally love consuming the candy potato cornbread with an egg for breakfast. It’s just about good any time of day.
- The authentic Chipotle Portobello Oven Fajitas recipe makes about 5 servings of two small fajitas every, so I simply used it to make 4 barely bigger servings to keep away from straggler servings.
- You could have a bit of further cowboy caviar as properly. This makes an ideal dip for chips, if you happen to want a snack through the week. Or you are able to do a breakfast taco with some scrambled eggs, cheese, and the cowboy caviar on high.
This is my second week utilizing my new glass containers and whereas they’re nice, I feel I need a barely totally different form. These containers are deep and never very lengthy or huge, and I feel I’d slightly have a bigger, extra shallow rectangle to keep away from having to pile objects on high of each other. Meal prep professional’s, what’s your favourite container? Leave the hyperlink the feedback under. Thanks!