Haha, I had a really “Louisiana” day yesterday! I made an enormous pot of crimson beans in the course of the day after which went to a crawfish boil at evening. 😛 Despite dwelling in southern Louisiana, that was like a 12 months’s value of Louisiana squeezed into someday for me! Anyway, I used to be craving crimson beans, so I assumed it was a great alternative to strive making them in my stress cooker. Red beans are an excellent easy, flavorful, filling, and low-cost meal, which is why they’ve been a staple meals throughout the souther U.S. for generations. Beans are infamous for taking ceaselessly to cook dinner, however with stress cooker expertise, these Pressure Cooker Red Beans might be completed in nearly an hour! So, that just about makes them the proper meals, IMHO.
I used my 7-1 Multi-Functional Instant Pot stress cooker in order that I may do the sauté steps all proper in the identical pot, however you need to use any electrical or range prime stress cooker. There are a number of different manufacturers of multi-function stress cookers in the marketplace as nicely, comparable to this Cosori mannequin that may be a little cheaper and comes with a glass lid for if you’re utilizing the sluggish cooker operate. If you’re utilizing an old-school single-functin stress cooker, simply do the primary couple of sauté steps in a skillet after which switch all the things to the stress cooker if you add the beans, spices, and broth.
The secret to good crimson beans is to make use of some kind of smoked meat, like sausage or a smoked ham hock, and to cook dinner the beans down till they’re so comfortable that they start to interrupt down. When the beans break down they flip the cooking liquid right into a deliciously thick and creamy combination that’s completely pleasant with rice. It’s a match made in heaven. If potential, use andouille sausage, however in the event you can’t discover it in your space simply use one other number of smoked sausage. Make certain it’s a smoked sausage, not one thing like Italian sausage. And in the event you don’t need to use meat in any respect, I made a reasonably scrumptious (if I do say so myself) Vegan Red Beans and Rice a number of years again. No stress cooker? No drawback. Here is my recipe for normal stove-top Louisiana Red Beans and Rice.
Want an actual consolation meals expertise? Serve up your crimson beans with some Mac and Cheese or Cornbread. Yummmmmmm.
Pressure Cooker Red Beans
Pressure Cooker Red Beans
Total Cost: $6.70
Cost Per Serving: $1.12
- ½ lb. smoked sausage (like andouille)* $1.60
- 1 Tbsp olive oil $zero.13
- 1 onion $zero.37
- 1 bell pepper $zero.98
- three stalks celery $zero.24
- four cloves garlic $zero.32
- 1 lb. dry raw crimson beans $zero.97
- 1 tsp dried thyme $zero.10
- 1 tsp dried oregano $zero.10
- 1 tsp smoked paprika $zero.10
- ¼ tsp cayenne $zero.02
- Freshly cracked black pepper $zero.05
- three cups rooster broth $zero.39
- 2 cups water $zero.00
- three inexperienced onions, sliced $zero.20
- 6 cups cooked rice $1.13
- Slice the smoked sausage into medallions. Add the olive oil and sliced sausage to the multi-function stress cooker or a skillet and sauté the sausage till it’s brown on each side (about 5 minutes). Once the sausage is nicely browned, take away it from the pot with a slotted spoon.
- While the sausage is browning, finely cube the onion, bell pepper, and celery, and mince the garlic. After eradicating the sausage, add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to the pot and proceed to sauté for an additional 5 minutes, or till the onions are comfortable and clear. The moisture from the greens ought to dissolve the browned bits off the underside of the pot.
- Rinse and kind by means of the beans to take away any dangerous beans or particles. Add the beans to the pot together with the cooked sausage, thyme, oregano, paprika, cayenne, some freshly cracked pepper (about 20 cranks of a pepper mill), rooster broth, and water. Stir to mix.
- Secure the lid on the stress cooker and shut the vent. Cook on excessive stress for 35 minutes (both use the handbook button or bean/chili button on the Instant Pot and enhance time to 35 minutes), then let the pot naturally launch stress because it cools. Test the beans to verify they’re extraordinarily comfortable. If they don’t seem to be comfortable but, re-secure the lid, shut the vent, and cook dinner for a further 20 minutes on excessive energy.
- Once the beans are very comfortable, stir and smash the beans agains the facet of the pot with the again of a big spoon till the liquid thickens. Taste and add salt as wanted (begin with a teaspoon and add extra till the flavors pop).
- Add about 1.5 cups of crimson beans to a bowl, prime with 1 cup rice and a sprinkle of sliced inexperienced onions.
*Feel free to make use of a complete pound of smoked sausage. I had ½ pound left over from one other recipe and made it work with what I had.
Step by Step Photos
Start by slicing half of lb. smoked sausage into medallions. Use andouille sausage, if potential, however in the event you can’t discover it in your space, use one other kind of smoked sausage. Add the smoked sausage to the pot with 1 Tbps olive oil and sauté till the sausage is browned. If your stress cooker doesn’t have a sauté operate, you are able to do this half in a skillet.
While the sausage is browning, finely cube one onion, one inexperienced bell pepper, and three stalks of celery. Mince 4 cloves of garlic. Remove the browned sausage from the pot and add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic.
Continue to sauté till the onions are comfortable and clear. The moisture from the greens ought to dissolve all of the browned bits off the underside of the pot.
Rinse 1 lb. crimson beans and kind by means of them to take away any dangerous beans. Add them to the pot together with the cooked sausage, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1/four tsp cayenne, and a few freshly cracked pepper.
Finally, add three cups rooster broth and a couple of cups water. Stir to mix. Secure the lid on the pot and cook dinner on excessive stress for 35 minutes (you may both use the handbook or bean/chili buttons on the Instant Pot, then enhance the time to 35 minutes).
After cooking at excessive stress for 35 minutes, let the pot cool and launch stress naturally. Open the pot and check the beans for tenderness. You need them to be extraordinarily tender and breaking down in order that they make the liquid thick and creamy when you begin stirring. If they’re not comfortable simply but, merely put the lid again on, shut the vent, and set to excessive stress once more for an additional 20 minutes. If your beans are having a tough time softening, it’s almost certainly because of onerous water or outdated beans.
Once the beans are very comfortable, stir the pot and smash the beans towards the facet of the pot as you stir. The starches from the beans will start to show the liquid into a pleasant thick sauce. Finally, style the beans and add salt as wanted. With dishes like this you completely is not going to style all the flavour notes till it’s seasoned nicely with salt. The rooster broth will add some salt, however you’ll almost certainly must salt it on the finish as nicely. Start with a teaspoon and add extra as wanted (the overall quantity will rely upon the kind of broth you used and your particular person style buds).
To serve the crimson beans, place about 1.5 cups in a bowl and prime with a cup of cooked rice. Sprinkle sliced inexperienced onions over prime. Don’t skip the inexperienced onions, both! They give the dish a blast of freshness that actually brings all of it collectively. 🙂
The manner that wealthy sauce coats the rice is simply so MMMM-mmmm!