This Slow Cooker Chickpea Curry a “set it and forget it” meal. Just pile all of the components into the gradual cooker and are available again to a scorching meal hours later.
This chickpea curry is so flavorful, but so easy to arrange. Just a couple of minutes of prep and a press of a button on the gradual cooker, and the following factor you understand, the odor of curry is wafting by means of the kitchen.
This dish is vegan, gluten-free, and immensely scrumptious. To construct taste with out piling up dishes, all the things is cooked proper within the gradual cooker – no stove-top browning or pre-cooking required!
I exploit dried chickpeas for this recipe since they maintain up higher to the longer cooking time, are economical to cook dinner with, and are a lot extra flavorful than canned. I don’t often soak the chickpeas for this recipe forward of time because the cooking time is so lengthy that you just don’t have to. If you favor to soak your beans for any cause, your whole cooking time will in all probability be shorter.
Just layer diced onion and the chickpeas within the gradual cooker, then sprinkle curry powder over high. Sweet potatoes, bell peppers, tomatoes, and coconut milk observe. I like how the candy potato breaks down, including physique and a touch of earthy sweetness to the dish.
I prefer to serve the steaming scorching curry over a bowl of chopped uncooked spinach. The warmth from the curry wilts the spinach completely as you stir all of it collectively. I additionally love so as to add a pleasant squeeze of lime juice to wake the entire thing up and add some brightness.
This dish freezes superbly. I freeze in pint-sized Mason jars, so I’ve a single-serving, microwave-safe dinner able to go! Just defrost within the fridge and heat within the microwave or on the stovetop.
Tips for Success
- I choose white-fleshed candy potatoes for this recipe as a result of they’re starchier and maintain up higher to longer cooking. If you utilize orange-fleshed candy potatoes, they may break down a little bit extra and make a thicker, creamier sauce — which can be good!
- You may suppose there’s not sufficient liquid within the pot to cook dinner the chickpeas — resist the temptation so as to add extra water! The greens launch loads of liquid throughout cooking, which is usually ample for cooking the chickpeas. Check and stir the curry after four hours, or everytime you’re ready, and add one other half cup of water if the pot appears dry.
- Exact cooking time will rely in your gradual cooker and your chickpeas. The first time you make this, give your self some buffer room with the cooking time to verify the chickpeas have completed cooking by the point you intend to serve. (It’s effective if the curry cooks for longer, too.)
- This makes a curry with a thick tomato-y sauce. If you’d like a creamier, extra coconut-y sauce, stir in a second can of coconut milk after cooking.
- To scale back cooking time, soak the chickpeas in a single day, skip the additional water, and cook dinner on excessive for four to six hours.
Slow Cooker Chickpea Curry with Sweet Potatoes and Red Peppers Recipe
I choose white-fleshed candy potatoes for this recipe as a result of they’re starchier and maintain up higher to longer cooking. If you utilize orange-fleshed candy potatoes, they may break down a little bit extra and make a thicker, creamier sauce, which can be good!
To scale back cooking time, soak the chickpeas in a single day, skip the additional water, and cook dinner on excessive for four to six hours.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound dried chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 white-fleshed candy potato, peeled and diced (See Recipe Note)
- 1 massive or two small candy bell peppers, diced (pink or yellow, about half pound)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- half cup water
- three cloves garlic, minced
- 1 diced serrano, jalapeño, or fresno chili (non-obligatory)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups spinach, roughly chopped, to serve
- Cooked rice, to serve (non-obligatory)
1 Combine the components within the gradual cooker: Drizzle olive oil within the backside of a 6-quart or bigger gradual cooker then add onion and stir to coat. Pour dried chickpeas on high, then sprinkle the curry powder evenly over the beans.
Follow with candy potato, bell pepper, tomatoes, coconut milk, water, garlic, chili pepper (if utilizing), and salt. Do not stir (leaving the chickpeas on the underside and the candy potatoes on high helps all the things cook dinner extra evenly).
2 Cook on low for six to eight hours: If you are round, stir the curry after about four hours and provides it a examine. At this level, the curry ought to appear soupy and the chickpeas will probably be edible, however nonetheless crunchy. If the gradual cooker appears dry, add one other half cup of water. (The curry will even be effective for those who’re not round to stir it.)
Total cooking time will rely in your gradual cooker and your chickpeas. The curry might be served any time after the chickpeas are gentle and tender.
It’s additionally effective to if the curry cooks a little bit longer, or for those who depart it on the “warm” setting for some time. The recipe could be very forgiving! The curry will get thicker and creamier the longer it cooks.
three Serve with spinach: Stir the curry properly. Taste and add extra salt if wanted. Serve the curry over bowls of chopped spinach, stirring to wilt the spinach. (You may stir the spinach instantly into the curry if that is extra handy for you.)
Leftovers will preserve for a couple of week or might be frozen for as much as three months.
Hello! All pictures and content material are copyright protected. Please don’t use our pictures with out prior written permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your personal distinctive phrases and hyperlink again to Slow Cooker Chickpea Curry with Sweet Potatoes and Red Peppers on Simply Recipes. Thank you!