This month, we have now a ton of airplane journey developing. Not to complain, however journey is a kind of issues the place I LOVE the vacation spot(s), however don’t love the journey… particularly the meals that’s usually accessible throughout the journey – a.ok.a airport meals. It’s turn into my behavior to deliver my very own meals on the aircraft, and with 12+ hours to France(!) on Friday, listed below are some tasty to-go hummus wraps that I’m making. These wraps can be nice for college lunch bins as nicely!
This recipe is impressed by the hummus wraps that I picked up at Whole Foods in Union Square once we have been flying dwelling a couple of months in the past from NYC. They have been moveable and engaging and I believed I’d take pleasure in recreating a model for our flight this week.
I begin by making a really mild, very inexperienced hummus. It’s made with chickpeas, tahini, some vegetable broth (which retains these mild as a result of you need to use rather less tahini), garlic, spices, handfuls of spinach and a little bit of parsley.
Next – unfold the hummus and layer the wraps! I put a layer of spinach, adopted by strips of cucumbers and peppers. I picked up these peppers and cucumbers final weekend on the farmers market. Because I’ll be touring with these, I stayed away from juicier greens, like, tomatoes, as a result of I don’t need the tortillas to get soggy.
It’s like layering substances for a sushi roll, I’m simply utilizing entire grain wraps as an alternative.
The hummus is the “glue” that holds these collectively. You may additionally use bigger burrito-sized wraps should you needed to.
Wrap them up in foil and so they’re good to go! I’m going to pack these in my carry-on with a small ice pack to maintain them contemporary.
Spinach Hummus Lunch Wraps
- four giant tortillas (I used these)
- Several handfuls of spinach leaves – about eight per wrap
- 1 cucumber, minimize into lengthy skinny slices – 2 per wrap
- 2-Three combined (gentle) peppers – about 6 slices per wrap
- Fresh parsley sprigs, elective
- Tofu or different alternative of protein, elective
- Sprinkle of hemp seeds, elective
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup vegetable broth (or water)
- Three tablespoons contemporary lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup contemporary parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly floor black pepper, to style
- 1½ cups packed contemporary spinach
- Make the Spinach Hummus: In a meals processor, mix the chickpeas, vegetable broth, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt, parsley, cumin, paprika, and black pepper and mix nicely. Add the spinach and mix once more. Chill till prepared to make use of.
- To assemble the wraps, unfold about ¼ cup of hummus on every wrap, leaving a ½-inch border across the edges. Add the spinach leaves adopted by the cucumber and pepper slices. Top with the contemporary parsley, protein of alternative and hemp seeds, if utilizing. Roll up the wraps after which wrap in foil. Refrigerate till till prepared to make use of.