So I used to be sitting round final night time watching the most recent season of Master of None once I ought to have been determining what I used to be going to cook dinner this week. But then inspiration hit when a personality within the present made a joke about how bougie younger girls in NYC are obsessive about grain bowls. After my preliminary defensive, “Hey, grain bowls are delicious AND healthy!” my mind switched to, “Oh, I definitely need to make a grain bowl tomorrow.” So I spent the remainder of the night brainstorming about these Sweet Potato Grain Bowls with Green Tahini Sauce.
So what’s a grain bowl? It’s merely a salad that makes use of some kind of cooked grain as the bottom as an alternative of salad greens. They often function quite a lot of colours, textures, and flavors, which makes them tremendous enjoyable to eat and often finally ends up providing a bunch of dietary worth within the course of. The different beauty of grain bowls is that they’re excellent for meal prep, which is sweet as a result of I severely have to get again on observe with my consuming after touring two out of the final three weeks. Ouch.
I began my Sweet Potato Grain Bowls with cooked bulgur as a result of it’s low-cost, straightforward to cook dinner, and I completely love the flavour and texture. Bulgur is solely wheat berries which were damaged up into items (identical to metal lower oats, however with wheat berries as an alternative of oat berries). I like how the cooked texture is barely chewy and the flavour is nutty. That being mentioned, you may actually use any grain as a substitute. Brown or wild rice, farro, barley, and even quinoa (which is technically a seed). In a pinch, you may even do a tiny pasta like couscous or orzo.
Sweet Potato Grain Bowls with Green Tahini Sauce
Sweet Potato Grain Bowls with Green Tahini Sauce
Total Cost: $eight.65
Cost Per Serving: $2.16
- 1 cup raw bulgur* $zero.93
- 2 lbs. candy potatoes $1.97
- 2 Tbsp olive oil $zero.26
- Pinch of salt and pepper $zero.05
- 15oz. can black beans $zero.79
- 1 avocado $1.50
- 1 jalapeño $zero.12
- ¼ cup pepitas $zero.60
GREEN TAHINI SAUCE
- ⅓ cup tahini $1.08
- ⅓ cup water $zero.00
- ¼ cup lemon juice $zero.18
- 1 clove garlic $zero.08
- ½ tsp cumin $zero.05
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper $zero.02
- ½ tsp salt $zero.02
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro $zero.50
- 1 cup loosely packed parsley $zero.50
- Add the raw bulgur to a sauce pot and place it over medium warmth. Cook and stir the dry bulgur over medium warmth for 2-Three minutes, or till it smells toasty or nutty, then take away it from the warmth. Add two cups of water, stir to mix, place a lid on high, then deliver it to a boil over excessive warmth. Once it reaches a boil, flip the warmth right down to low and let it simmer for about 12 minutes with the lid in place. Turn the warmth off and let the bulgur relaxation for five minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pot and fluff the bulgur with a fork. Allow the bulgur to chill (I like to position it within the fridge with no lid to chill rapidly and dry barely).
- While the bulgur is simmering, preheat the oven to 400ºF. Peel and cube the candy potatoes into ¾-inch cubes. Place the cubed candy potatoes on a big baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, then toss the cubes till they’re coated with oil. Roast the candy potatoes within the preheated oven for 20 minutes, give them a stir, then roast for an extra 10 minutes or till they’re comfortable and barely browned on the perimeters.
- While the candy potatoes are roasting, put together the inexperienced tahini sauce. Place all of the elements in a blender or meals processor, and mix till the herbs are in very small items and the sauce turns into a light-weight inexperienced colour. Taste and regulate the salt if wanted.
- Slice the avocado and jalapeño. Rinse and drain the black beans.
- To assemble the bowls, place ¾-1 cup cooked and cooled bulgur in every bowl. Divide the candy potatoes, black beans, avocado, and jalapeño even among the many bowls. Sprinkle about 1 Tbsp pepitas over every bowl, then drizzle the inexperienced tahini sauce over all the pieces. Be beneficiant with the inexperienced tahini sauce as it’s liable for a lot of the flavour on this dish. If meal prepping, maintain the inexperienced tahini sauce separate till simply earlier than serving.
*Any grain can be utilized instead of the bulgur. Just make sure you observe the cooking directions on the bundle in line with the grain used.
Step by Step Photos
Begin by cooking your grain in order that it has time to chill. I take advantage of this bulgur as a result of I like the flavour and texture, and it’s tremendous straightforward to cook dinner.
Dry toasting your grain earlier than including the water provides it only a bit extra taste. Add 1 cup dry bulgur to your sauce pot and place it over medium warmth. Cook whereas stirring consistently for 2-Three minutes, or till you start to odor a toasty or nutty taste, then take away it from the warmth.
Add 2 cups water to the toasted bulgur, place a lid on the pot, then deliver it as much as a boil over excessive warmth. Once it reaches a boil, flip the warmth right down to low and let it simmer for about 12 minutes. After 12 minutes, flip the warmth off and let it relaxation for about 5 minutes. Finally, take away the lid and fluff it with a fork (pictured above). Let the bulgur cool. I like to position mine within the fridge with no lid to hurry up the cooling and to dry it out simply barely.
While the bulgur is simmering, preheat the oven to 400ºF. Peel and cube 2 lbs. candy potatoes (about Three/Four-inch cubes). Place them on a big baking sheet and drizzle with 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, then toss the cubes till they’re coated in oil.
Roast the candy potatoes within the preheated oven for 20 minutes, give them a stir, then roast for an extra 1o minutes, or till they’re comfortable and barely browned on the perimeters.
While the candy potatoes are roasting, put together the inexperienced tahini sauce. Simply add 1/Three cup tahini, 1/Three cup water, 1/Four cup lemon juice, one clove of garlic, half tsp cumin, 1/Four tsp cayenne, half tsp salt, and one loosely pack cup every of cilantro leaves and parsley leaves to a meals processor or blender. Blend the elements till the herbs are in tiny items and the sauce has taken on a light-weight inexperienced hue. Taste and regulate the salt if wanted.
Rinse and drain a 15oz. can of black beans. Slice one avocado and one jalapeño. To assemble the bowls, place about Three/Four to 1 cup bulgur in every of 4 bowls. Divide the candy potatoes, black beans, jalapeño, and avocado among the many 4 bowls. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp pepitas on high of every bowl.
I ready one bowl in an precise bowl to eat for lunch immediately, and prepped the remainder in three resealable containers for the fridge. I’ll be consuming these Sweet Potato Grain Bowls chilly.
If you might be meal prepping for the following few days, maintain the inexperienced tahini sauce separate till simply earlier than serving. Otherwise, drizzle the sauce over every bowl. Be beneficiant with the sauce as a result of that’s the place most of your taste is coming in! The sauce is vivid and tangy, however under no circumstances too heavy like cream primarily based sauces.
And then dig in! Every chunk has one thing new. 🙂