I’ve one thing actually enjoyable (and scrumptious) for you right this moment!! I’m so enthusiastic about this, guys. My pal, Daniel Shumski, launched his second e-book yesterday and it’s a gem! The e-book is known as Will It Skillet? (a comply with as much as his first e-book, Will It Waffle?, LOL, I like his e-book titles!) and it comprises 53 straightforward recipes that may be made in a forged iron skillet. Not solely is that this nice for simple weeknight cooking, however should you’re an avid camper, this e-book will in all probability serve you effectively. Anyway, he’s letting me share one of many recipes from the e-book with you, so I selected the Mac and Cheese Recipe. Let me simply let you know, THIS is my new favourite mac and cheese. IMHO it tops all different mac and cheese strategies in each ease and creaminess. I’ve made it twice this week and already need extra!
So what’s so particular about this mac and cheese? Wellllll let me depend the methods. 1) It doesn’t require making a roux or béchamel sauce, so it’s tremendous quick, straightforward, and fool-proof. 2) It’s extremely silky and wealthy! And it doesn’t get grainy because it cools like different “miracle” or one-pot mac and cheeses. It’s simply wealthy tacky perfection. three) Because the cheese sauce doesn’t use a butter and flour based mostly roux, you could possibly probably make this gluten free by utilizing a gluten free pasta. Everyone will be in mac and cheese heaven!! four) Seriously, there are solely seven elements. And that’s counting salt.
Just watch out, as a result of like I mentioned, this mac and cheese is simply really easy and scrumptious that it’s additionally very harmful. I can see myself maintaining the only a few elements wanted to make this readily available and simply making mac and cheese on a regular basis. Pandora’s field has been opened.
P.S. You can completely make this in a daily sauce pot. You don’t want a forged iron skillet for this recipe. But for reference, I exploit this 10″ Lodge forged iron skillet.
This recipe has been reprinted with the permission and generosity of Danial Shumski and Workman Publishing.
Will It Skillet? Mac and Cheese
Will It Skillet? Mac and Cheese
Recipe reprinted with permission from Workman Publishing.
Total Cost: $2.59
Cost Per Serving: $1.30
- ½ tsp salt $zero.02
- 2 cups elbow macaroni* $zero.70
- 2 Tbsp butter $zero.27
- ¾ cup evaporated milk $zero.55
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard $zero.03
- Pinch of cayenne pepper $zero.02
- 1.5 cups shredded sharp cheddar $1.00
- Fill the skillet two-thirds filled with water, add the salt, and convey to a boil over medium-high warmth.
- Add the macaroni, flip the warmth to medium, and cook dinner, stirring sometimes, till simply shy of al dente. This ought to take about 10 minutes, however verify the pasta package deal for advisable cooking occasions and intention for the decrease finish if a variety is given. (The macaroni will proceed to cook dinner a bit within the sauce.) When the macaroni is prepared, biting into a bit ought to reveal a really skinny core of raw pasta.
- Drain the macaroni and return it to the skillet. Turn the warmth to low. Add the butter and stir till it melts.
- Add the evaporated milk, mustard, and cayenne and stir effectively to mix. Add the cheese in three batches, stirring ceaselessly as every batch is added and ready till the cheese has melted earlier than including the subsequent batch. After about 5 minutes whole, the sauce will likely be clean and noticeably thicker.
- Serve sizzling. Leftovers will be refrigerated in a lined container for as much as 2 days.
*I used cavatappi pasta (corkscrews). For most medium pasta shapes, 2 cups is roughly ½ lb.
Step by Step Photos
Here is Daniel’s e-book, for reference. Seriously so many yummy issues in right here!
To start the mac and cheese, fill your skillet about three/four full with water and add half tsp salt. Bring it as much as a boil over medium-high warmth. Add 2 cups (or about half lb.) of elbow macaroni or any form of comparable measurement. Boil the pasta simply till it’s al dente. Leave it slightly below achieved as a result of it is going to proceed to cook dinner and soften within the sauce. Make positive to stir it typically because it boils should you’re utilizing a shallow skillet like this. Once cooked, drain the pasta in a colander.
Turn the warmth right down to LOW and return the cooked and drained pasta to the skillet, together with 2 Tbsp butter. Stir the butter into the pasta till it’s utterly melted.
Add three/four cup evaporated milk and let it start to warmth via.
Make positive you purchase “evaporated milk” and never “sweetened condensed milk” as a result of they’re two very VERY various things. 😉 Luckily, the three/four cup wanted for this recipe was half of this could, so I saved the opposite half to make a second batch a pair days later (see? DANGEROUS).
Also add half tsp Dijon mustard and a pinch of cayenne.
Once the evaporated milk has heated up a bit (this shouldn’t take greater than a minute or so), start including 1.5 cups shredded sharp cheddar, one handful at a time. Make positive the cheese is absolutely melted in earlier than including the subsequent handful. I added my cheese in three batches.
As the cheese melts within the sauce will thicken into the silkiest, cheesiest skillet of goodness you’ve ever eaten. It’s so good.
And that’s it! You’re achieved! Now simply strive to not eat all of it your self. 😉