Well, whats up September! How did that occur?
It’s again to highschool season and though nobody in our household goes again to highschool (though how cute would doggie lunchboxes be!?), I nonetheless wished to share a straightforward recipe that might be nice for a busy weeknight.
Everyone loves lasagna, so I put iton my “to make for September” listing. My plan was to make use of the last-surviving summer season greens, notably zucchini because it’s nonetheless rising rampant. Instead of utilizing common ricotta because the filling, I’d make a more healthy non-dairy ricotta. Maybe I’d even mix a vegetable to make the ricotta filling. And then I spotted – oh wait, I’ve this Zucchini Lasagna in THE COOKBOOK that’s already my favourite zucchini lasagna. So as an alternative of reinventing the wheel, right here’s the wheel!
This is not any odd lasagna recipe. What I really like about this recipe is that it makes use of up a BUNCH of zucchini.
Planks of zucchini layer in to interchange half of the noodles that you’d usually want. That’s the apparent transfer. But there may be additionally zucchini blended up INTO the “ricotta” filling itself. You’ll by no means discover it there, however the zucchini, together with blended walnuts, tofu, lemon juice, and spices creates a thick, creamy ricotta-like filling with out utilizing ricotta.
Yes, I put cheese on high of the lasagna, however I consider life is all about steadiness. Sub vegan cheese on high in case you like!
And a shameless plug – take a look at The Love & Lemons Cookbook for extra superior veggie recipes 🙂
Zucchini Lasagna with Zucchini “Ricotta”
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 7 ounces extra-firm tofu
- ½ cup chopped zucchini
- 1 tablespoon recent lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crimson pepper flakes
- ½ cup chopped recent basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, extra to style
- freshly floor black pepper
- 5 ounces brown rice lasagna noodles
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 zucchini, sliced into skinny planks
- 1 cup grated pecorino cheese
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Make the Zucchini Tofu Ricotta: In a meals processor, mix the walnuts, garlic, tofu, chopped zucchini, lemon juice, oregano, crimson pepper flakes, basil, salt and pepper and course of to a spreadable consistency. Add extra salt and pepper as desired.
- Prepare the pasta in accordance with the directions on the package deal, cooking till al dente.
- Assemble the lasagne: Drizzle a 9×13” pan with olive oil, then layer elements as follows:
- st layer: ⅓ tomatoes, ½ noodles, ½ ricotta, ½ zucchini
- nd layer: ⅓ tomatoes, ½ noodles, ½ ricotta, ½ zucchini
- Top with the remaining ⅓ tomatoes. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake lined for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 20-30 minutes extra. or till the zucchini is tender, however nonetheless has a chew, and the tomatoes and cheese are effervescent. Let relaxation for 10 minutes earlier than serving. Season with freshly cracked black pepper.
To make this vegan, use vegan cheese, or skip the cheese on high. If you skip the cheese, you might need to season the lasagna a bit extra salt and pepper.